1/2 lb Shrimp/Prawn cleaned and de-veined (tail on or off)
1 tablespoon Oil
2 Green Cardamom
1 Bay Leaf
1" pc Cinnamon Stick
2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
5 green chillis slit length wise
1 medium onion thinly sliced
1 medium tomato, chopped
Salt – to taste
Red Chilli Powder – to taste
1/2 teaspoon Biriyani masala
Mint Leaves – handful, chopped
2 cups Coconut Milk
1 cup Basmati Rice washed and drained,but not soaked
1 tablespoon Clarified Butter/Ghee
1. Heat Oil in a pressure cooker.
2. Add Cinnamon Stick, Bay Leaf, Green Cardamom and Cloves and cook for 30 seconds.
3. Add green chillis and onions and fry till onions are golden brown.
4. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
4. Add Tomatoes and cook for 3-4 mins, then add Shrimp. Mix well.
5. Add Red Chilli Powder, Salt and Mint Leaves.Mix well.
6. Add washed Rice and biriyani masala. Mix and fry for 2mins.
7. Add coconut milk and mix well.Check for salt and add more accordingly.
8. Cover, pressure cook for 1 whistle and switch off stove.(Electric stove users — remove from the stove)
9. Allow pressure to go down by itself.
10. Open pressure cooker and fluff biryani with a fork.
11. Drizzle Clarified Butter (ghee) over the top, cover and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
Note : This dish will be more on the creamier side due to the coconut milk. If you dont want the creamy texture then dilute the coconut milk with water(1/2 cup coconut milk+1 1/2 cups water).