For Gulab Jamun :
1 Gulab jamun packet(200gms)
1/2 cup of milk
oil for deep frying
For Sugar Syrup :
3 cups of sugar
3 cups of water
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
2 drops of lemon juice
1. Empty the gulab jamun packet into a mixing bowl.
2. Make a soft dough by adding the milk slowly.Do not add all the milk at once. Do not over knead the dough.
3. Cover the dough and let it rest for 10mins .
4. While dough is resting prepare the sugar syrup.
For Sugar Syrup :
Add the sugar and water to a wide vessel.
Keep the flame on medium high and let it come to a boil.
Once the sugar is dissolved completely, add the cardamom powder.
Add 2 drops of lemon juice(lemon juice stops the sugar from crystallizing) and mix well.
Turn the heat to low and let it simmer.
5. Before making the gulab jamuns , get the oil ready for deep frying.Heat up the oil on low to medium heat.
6. Now make desired size balls from the dough and make sure they have no cracks otherwise they might break when you fry them .
7. To test the oil ,add a small piece of dough and if it sits at the bottom of the pan and floats to the surface slowly then the oil is ready .
8. Add a few balls to oil and fry them by rotating continuously.
9. Fry the jamuns till golden brown annd remove them on a paper towel.
10. Meanwhile bring the sugar syrup to a boil again.
11. Fry rest of the gulab jamuns .
12. Once the sugar syrup comes a boil, remove from heat and add the gulab jamuns.
13. Cover the vessel and let the gulab jamun rest for at least 3 hours.
14. Serve them warm or cold .
Note: Do not let balls sit for long before frying.They will become dry and can break in the oil.
Fry the balls on very low flame or they will get colour on outside but will remain uncooked from inside and stir them continously for even colouring.